You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook battery drains while plugged in

I have a

2019 MacBook Pro

16 inch

2,6 GHz Intel i7

16 GB RAM

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

and I have a problem with the battery. The battery is not charging when the power cable is plugged in, in fact it is slowly draining. An overview of the situation:

• The MacBook sees the connection and the battery icon is set to ‘charging’, it recognizes that the power cable is connected
  • The battery status is “Battery Is Not Charging”
  • When running CPU heavy software the battery drains extremely quickly.
  • A hardware diagnostic determined that there was nothing wrong with the hardware.
  • According to “System Information” the computer is receiving 94 Watts of power from the charger.
  • The battery condition is “Normal”
  • The cycle count is 132
  • The full charge capacity is 7483 mAh
  • I tried resetting the SMC, it did not work.
  • I tried resetting the PRAM, it did not work.

Is there any way to fix this?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 3:06 AM

2 replies

Jun 5, 2022 7:41 AM in response to Sem2022

Sem2022 wrote:

• I have a

2019 MacBook Pro
16 inch
2,6 GHz Intel i7
16 GB RAM
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

and I have a problem with the battery. The battery is not charging when the power cable is plugged in, in fact it is slowly draining. An overview of the situation:

The MacBook sees the connection and the battery icon is set to ‘charging’, it recognizes that the power cable is connected
• The battery status is “Battery Is Not Charging”
• When running CPU heavy software the battery drains extremely quickly.
• A hardware diagnostic determined that there was nothing wrong with the hardware.
• According to “System Information” the computer is receiving 94 Watts of power from the charger.
• The battery condition is “Normal”
• The cycle count is 132
• The full charge capacity is 7483 mAh
I tried resetting the SMC, it did not work.
• I tried resetting the PRAM, it did not work.

Is there any way to fix this?

You can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com Allow the Full Disk Access for best results.

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

You do not supply details here—only a broad brush of "slowly draining"...?

old issue, new issue, what changed?

I will add BHM (Battery Health Management) manages charging...

You can disable this feature and compare your results.

About battery health management in Mac notebooks intel— introduced with macOS10.15.5

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

Jun 5, 2022 8:06 AM in response to leroydouglas

Let my try to explain the problem better:

I was using some CPU heavy software (Ableton Live) and noticed that my battery was draining quickly, even though it was connected to a (96W) charger. The icon in the menu bar says it is connected and when I click on it it says that the power source is the Power Connector. It also says that the battery is not charging. This is still true when I'm not running anything and the energy impact (according to Activity Monitor) is close to 0. It does seem to charge (extremely slowly) when in sleep mode or when turned off, but when I do something with a minor CPU load it stops charging. When I do something that requires a lot of CPU power it drains the battery, even though it is connected to the charger.

I ran etrecheck, but I did not notice anything in the report that could be related to this problem. I'm not an expert of course, so maybe you can spot something I missed. I added the report in the Additional Text like you said. Thank you for your help!

Macbook battery drains while plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.